Friday, April 8, 2011

Sowin' 'n' Reapin'

This week, I feel like I've sown all I have and reaped nothing but exhaustion, tension of every kind, harsh words from almost everyone, and five nosebleeds in four days. Three of those happened while I was either bending over or blowing my nose, so I'm not as worried as I would be if they were all spontaneous.

Anyway, it's been hard. The worst week, and a couple of the worst days, I've had in a long, long time. I'm lucky I haven't had to weather much worse, but reminding myself of that only makes it marginally easier.

God tells us that we will sometimes sow where others will reap, see all our hard work go to someone else. But he also says that sometimes it's the opposite. Sometimes, we will live in houses we did not build. We will eat olives from trees we did not plant. While we don't always reap exactly what we sow, and certainly not in the timetable we planned for, it does work out in the end. Hard work does pay off. Sometimes we get a prize for nothing. While I've never taken much consolation from statements about the future, it does mean something. Not that I'm going to get up from this kicking my heels, but at least I might go to bed without crying.

No comments: