Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Being a Good Grown-up

I set my alarm for 7:30 this morning even though I had nowhere to be until 1:30. That's right, I have become an actual adult. I did it so I could run and shower without having breakfast at lunchtime. And you know what? It worked out great. I sat down to work at about 9:45 and had finished an article a little after ten. I wrote two more short pieces this morning before sitting down to lunch at a reasonable, grown-up lunchtime. Then I did the webcast, had a good talk with Dad, and did an interview all before the regular workday was over.

This is slightly unlike me. Because I often work in the evenings and am not much of a schedule person, I have weeks where things are pretty willy-nilly, and Friday can be an ugly affair around here because that's the deadline for the articles I should have been writing all week. But days like this give me faith in structure, or at least in getting up early. I'm thinking a lot about how I use my time because things will change drastically come July 6 when summer school starts. I'm trying to start good habits while simultaneously getting my ya-yas out, enjoying the relative lack of structure while I can. Right now, it's mostly just a topic of thought, but based on the success of today, I'm thinking I'll soon start changing my behavior. I've gone through periods where I got up early and adhered to a schedule, and one of those periods is coming up.

I say this after an evening of watching cartoons and reading graphic novels that were apparently attended for adolescents. Adulthood is highly relative.

No comments: