Monday, April 18, 2011

Rollin' It Out

My roommate has a foam roller for her muscles, which I occasionally use with permission. It's hard to get used to but does tenderize stiff and sore muscles. It's just a plain cylinder, and you roll around on top of it.

The trick is to focus on the areas that it hurts to roll. It's counterintuitive to continue causing oneself pain, but pain is actually really beneficial and important physically. Stretching, yoga, and I'm sure plenty of other things, when done right, involve a certain amount of pain. When a stretch hurts, I've learned to stay there and take a few breaths. If I hurry away from it, the pain will just get worse and be there with a vengeance next time.

I think this has to do something with the hurtful aspects of faith and life that I've mentioned in other posts. Avoiding pain pretty much gets you nowhere.

No comments: