Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Missing Out

So I signed on with Union Presbyterian Seminary in Richmond today, unofficially, by confirming that I am interested in a program called Communities of Learning. I will read a book with other incoming students and take part in online discussions over the summer, shepherded by a faculty member or alum. Cool. There's also a weekend get-together before school starts so we can all meet face to face outside the realm of regular school-time.

But the get-together is the same weekend that my friend Laura is getting married. In Houston. Since I haven't quite mastered being in two places at once, I have to miss the get-together. The same thing happened with my cousin's wedding and our Davidson five-year reunion. This vexes me. The good news is that neither of these is a dilemma, exactly; I'm not thinking in circles about which I should do, because the priority in both cases is pretty clear cut. The other good news is that a surplus of activities is better than boredom. But that doesn't make it fun to miss something fun.

I have a lot of trouble with the concept that fun can happen without me. I'm looking forward to both of these weddings in a big way, though, and I'm certain that when I'm there, the last thing on my mind will be the reunion or the get-together. I'll be there to celebrate, and celebrate I will. I am very blessed to know all of the marrieds-to-be and to share in their happiness on the big day.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Yay! Congratulations on your official decision! We'll have to create a Wilmington bucketlist or something for the summer.