Tuesday, March 15, 2011

On Giving Blood

I gave blood once or twice in college, maybe high school. It was a highly unpleasant experience, more psychologically than physically, and I decided I could be of service in more comfortable ways.

Fast-forward to early this summer, when my church held a blood drive and I felt the semi-familiar pang of "I should do that." I realized that I hardly ever did anything painful for anyone else. Youth group is loads of fun, and so are the other church-related things I do. I knew service is not about free pizza and fun and games, and giving blood would be one way to break that barrier. But I couldn't get away from work to give. Whew! Close one.

Then, I saw last Sunday that church was having a drive again today, Tuesday. So I called to make my appointment well ahead of time and tried not to think about it, becoming hypersensitive to the inside of my elbows.

Yesterday, I found out about a meeting I needed to cover for work which kept me from being in town for the appointed time, so I canceled. Normally, I might take this as a "sign" (AKA "excuse") that I wasn't supposed to give blood, but my mom said maybe I could give at a Red Cross center. So I called this morning and set up an appointment for tomorrow. I'll be at the center at noon, squeezing my eyes shut and dramatically turning my head away from my left arm. I'm aware that the world will not end, but I know it's going to hurt. As much as I'd like to avoid it, some things should.

2 comments:

Erica said...

You'll do great! It's really not so bad. Just a little pinch, and then you get to play with a ball!

Rachel said...

They didn't give me a ball! They gave me one of those disembodied bike-handle things. You're right, though, it was fine. :)