Friday, March 11, 2011

J the B

My second-favorite Bible character of all time is John the Baptist. (Third: David. First: Take a guess!) I picture him with wild hair and dirty fingernails, looking completely out of place anywhere but the desert. His appeal is the same as that of Into the Wild or My Side of the Mountain, which I'm currently re-reading: the windy, rainy, sweltering, harsh outdoors brought to bear on one person and bringing him to some precipice, bringing out the truth in him.

But more than just being a mountain man, John the B. is my favorite because he's so self-effacing. His whole life and existence are about glorifying God, announcing Jesus' coming, and he's okay with that. He never (on the record, at least) complains about playing second fiddle or wishes for more power. He has the right perspective. Even non-Christians, I think, can learn from his de-emphasis of self, his intense sense of focus and purpose. That is what Lent's about when done right: let's trim something that doesn't lead us closer to Him. Let's move ourselves an inch closer to the back seat and away from the controls. Let's bow our heads even though our necks are stiff from pride. Good thing we have forty days to practice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your blogs. They are right on the mark!
Jody

Rachel said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jody! I'm glad you like them. :)