Saturday, March 19, 2011

Boston, Day 1

Most of today was spent driving, so I don't have terribly much to report, only that I was able to avoid NYC traffic, hallelujah, and had no tollbooth incidents. I finished I Am America (and So Can You!) and started The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which is very good. In regular reading, I finished Island of the Blue Dolphins on the subway into town. That's a good book. Rather darker than My Side of the Mountain but not enough to discourage me from this fun YA wilderness-survival trend. It's incredible to think of someone surviving alone in the wild for so long--this one's based on a true story. I doubt most of us would hold up very well or very long, and I'm not sure I'd even have much will to live if no one else was around. It makes you think about the nature and purpose of life at its most basic. Kinda scary.

I got here at about 4 at my hotel outside Boston and planned to chill for the evening but then found that a restaurant recommended by a friend would not be open tomorrow, so I thought I'd better go today. Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burgers is a very good place to eat. Many of their burgers are named after famous people with clever taglines, like "The Ted Kennedy, a plump, liberal amount of burger" and "The Afghan--Attack this and you'll never leave." I sat at a long table with people I didn't know. It took me a while to find the place, but that was good because I got to explore more than I might have. Then I came home and here I am.

No comments: