Monday, May 2, 2011

A Pilgrim's Progress

I got my first seminary-related book today. I'll be reading What They Don't Tell You: A Survivor's Guide to Biblical Studies over the summer and hashing it out with an online discussion group of other incoming students. I can't go to the face-to-face weekend, but I figure it'll be good to get acquainted with people in cyberspace.

I also sent out an email to some of my Wilmington friends asking for company as I make the rounds of the city's best restaurants, collaboration on a yard sale, and help moving. It took me a long time to get around to it and a long time to compose it, mostly because I didn't want to ask for help moving and because it made the move more real. It seems to get more tangible and ambiguous every day.

I'm extremely excited about going to Richmond. The support and encouragement I've gotten have gone far beyond what people expressed when I went to grad school, which was plenty, so I'm certain that this is the right move, a rare feeling. But going there means leaving Wilmington! Dang it! Who invented that mess? I've never been so sad to leave a place and its people. So my heart is on the heavy side even as it soars.

No comments: