Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Food and Running and Pants and Potters

Kelly (my roommate) is teaching her third-graders about measurements, so she went to the store to get some pint and half-pint containers. The only thing they had in half-pints was half and half, so she got both sizes of it. I saw it in the fridge and figured it was for something at school, so when I went to the store, I got a new thing of half and half for myself. She had only needed the empties, though, so now we half about a gallon of half and half. I used some in a soup today, which because I made it up turned out more like goop with some liquid surrounding it, but tastes delicious. The soup was also an effort to use up broccoli, which I bought a ton of yesterday (still doing the HT sale thing) and of course Kelly already had a lot too. Surprisingly, I've used up over half of the broccoli in less than twenty-four hours, so surely there's hope yet that I'll finish it before it goes bad. Especially because I have mac and cheese (on sale too) and alfredo sauce, both of which will be delicious broccoli delivery systems. It's rather fun to just get what's on sale and then think of ways to use it, rather than picking a recipe and getting what I need.

I can run all the way around the Loop now! That's 2.5 miles, or 2.9, or 2.2, depending on whom you ask. I would have laughed if you'd told me a year ago that I could do that and like it. God is truly good, and He lends us strength and stamina all the time. I've a litle cough today, though, so we'll see how it goes when Lyndsay (marathon runner with lots of patience for slow ol' me) comes over to run it with me. The good part is one can always stop to walk in extenuating circumstances.

I got five pairs of fabulous pants at Christmas. Took them to the sweet little pictures-of-kids-on-the-wall alteration shop I'd had success with before. Four of the five pairs came back with one leg, I kid you not, about an inch shorter than the other. Bizarro. Luckily, when I tried them on, it was the shorter leg that fit best (surprise). It's definitely easier for them to shorten than to lengthen. They're redoing them for free. The ladies were very nice and as mystified as I was. They seem quite experienced, and hemming pants is, like, one of the easiest things in sewing, right? I'm supposed to get them back today.

The NCPC is doing a show of young potters! Oh snap! Wanna go at Spring Break? That's my plan. It's got some of my faves. http://www.pottersforncpc.blogspot.com/2010/01/seagrove-area-has-a-long-and-rich-history.html or better yet, http://www.ncpotterycenter.com/.

Does anyone know how to make it so a word is highlighted and it is a link? I'm always putting those ugly http's. I'd be ever so grateful if you told me how to do it on Blogspot/Blogger blogs.

No comments: