Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome to the Future

I don't believe people should wait for the new year or for anything else to make resolutions, to reflect on their lives and decide what needs to change and how to change it. But it is a convenient time to do so, and I do always find myself thinking about it considerably more during the turn of the year. I think 2009 will be a wonderful year, just like every year in that way. I am going to try not buying books, clothes, DVDs, or CDs, with a few exceptions (like I can buy books for classes, and I can buy new pajamas because I think I'm going to need some soon). This isn't a money-saving choice so much as a simplification choice: I looked around last month and realized I'm pretty much set. I have everything material I need for now, so I'm not going to keep accumulating things. I also plan to have a solid first draft of my thesis by this time next year, and I'm going to eat every day and sleep every night.

In the realm of things I'm going to try that aren't necessarily resolutions, I'm going to make some leek soup, and if I like it, I may do a leek-soup fast one day a week. And/or eat only fruit one day a week. The soup comes from French Women Don't Get Fat, and the fruit comes from Simplify Your Life by Elaine St. James (or one of its companion volumes). These are health and simplicity choices but may also help with finances, because I think food is one of my greatest expenditures. I do buy the cheapest brands of things I buy, but because I'm committed to some restrictions and qualities, I often can only go so cheap. This isn't a problem--actually it is, in that less tampered-with foods should be less expensive but for some reason the sketchy non-natural things cost more--I mean it isn't a problem that I spend so much on food because it's at the root of the quality of my life. Anyway. That's one experiment I'm making this year.

This evening, as it was my birthday, I planned to go to Coldstone but got so comfortable on the couch, and it was cold outside, and it's rather far away, yada yada, I ended up inventing something sweet to meet that desire. I let some frozen raspberries thaw in the blender while I watched the Monk marathon, then put six non-measured spoonfuls of plain yogurt, 2 spoonfuls of sugar, and one (all of these are heaping) of cocoa. Blended away, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I'll definitely be going back to that. It's quite healthy, too, compared to ice cream.

For Christmas, I got the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I feel like an evangelist here. I was skeptical when I first heard about it, but now that I'm on my third batch of dough, I'm a raving convert. It's like having a secret key that makes it infinitely easier. I'm now playing with loaf shapes while getting the basic dough down-pat. Next, I'll check out some different doughs--wheat, etc. That alone makes 2009 a promising year.

2 comments:

Erin Seabolt Bond said...

I hear you on the food prices thing. We had gotten our grocery bill way low before doing a major overhaul on our diet. Now with all the organic meats and such, we certainly pay a lot more for food (but I'm hoping it will translate to paying a lot less in medical bills in the long run).

I must know more about this bread! Since we got back in town, I've been wanting to bake my own bread, but I'm so intimidated. What's the secret?

Rachel said...

Oh, you might be sorry you asked. I am absolutely evangelistic about this bread book. The concept is that you make a big batch of dough, keep it in the fridge, and pull off what you need during the next 2 weeks or so. It's just 1.5 T yeast, 1.5 T salt, 3 c. water (mix those 3 together first), and 6.5 c. flour. Mix (you don't even knead!), let sit 2h, refrigerate indefinitely (like 2 weeks). When you need some, pull out, shape, let sit 1h or so, bake at like 400 for 25 min. Some of those #s may be off, but that's the idea. I definitely recommend the process and the book!