Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Varieties of Religious Experience

Yesterday I was doing what I usually do on a Saturday, spending a few hours at a cafe getting ahead of the week's schoolwork. Actually, in this case I was researching for my thesis instead of grading papers or other school stuff. The preacher of a local megachurch came in and sat down. At first I was a little flustered--it felt like a celebrity sighting. Then I thought about how wrong that is, to me: pastors shouldn't feel like celebrities to us. I took great comfort in knowing that if any of the pastors at the (non-mega) church I attend now had come in, they almost surely would have recognized me and probably come over to speak. Then I felt bewildered at how different people are. Clearly, the man I saw has touched many lives. His church is blessed and not just growing but booming, so for lots and lots of people, it doesn't matter that their pastor doesn't know them. But for me, that was a big part of why I stopped going to his church. Good preaching, cool music, but the dude couldn't pick me out of a lineup, and the people whose hands I shook during the one-minute greeting time were people I would never see again. That bothered me. And now I am blessed to be in a church where lots of people remember my name (even if I still can't keep theirs straight), where the preaching actually remains in my head after it's over, and where there are numerous low-pressure opportunities to serve or study outside services. And seeing that other preacher made me much more aware of it and grateful for it. So even if I hadn't gotten any work done at the cafe, it still would have been a good and productive Saturday.

1 comment:

Erin Seabolt Bond said...

I definitely understand wanting to feel known and cared for at your church. I also understand the impulse to put a lot of emphasis on a pastor, but I feel my pastor is just one part of my church experience, and not the biggest part. For me, church needs to be a real community, not just people I see once a week for a service. The weekly service at the church I attend is important, but it's my small group, the people I actually do life with, who really know me and encourage me to grow. So, I guess I don't feel my pastor needs to do that personally, since I've already got others filling that need.

But, I can see where you're coming from. I always get that way with professors. I tend to make them much more than they really are--just people with a job and a passion, doing the best they can.

I will say that I'm glad there are plenty of different churches and places of worship where everyone can find a place to fit in and feel right about. One size certainly doesn't fit all. Different people have different needs and desires, and no matter how popular a church is, that doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone.