Sunday, May 25, 2008

Step It Up and Write

Back when I had my TV on the wrong setting and thus only got twenty channels, I watched a lot of Top Chef on Bravo (strangely, that was one of the channels). A few months ago, I watched and enjoyed some Project Runway and realized it had a very similar structure and style, the way the challenges were set up, even the graphics. Then the other day, I came across Step It Up and Dance, and by gum, it's the same thing too. I find the formula engaging to the point of addictive, and clearly I'm not alone because Bravo has realized what works and stuck to it.

Which brings me to my latest imaginary entrepreneurial endeavor: a writing retreat that's structured like one of those shows. I'm sure people would pay lots of money for such a thing--they already drop a lot for writing retreats, and if it has a gimmick like that, all the better. I'm not sure whether there would be elimination, since everyone would have paid the same amount to be there. And it's sad.

To be clear, this would not be a show. No cameras present. When I found out the latest Project Runway champ was only 21, I referred to him as "just a baby," and my friend said, "Uh, how old are you?"
I laughed and said, "Twenty-four, but I don't have my own clothing line."
She said, "Well, if there were a show for writing, maybe you'd be on there. It's just a matter of opportunity."
As I agreed, another friend piped up laughing: "If there were a show for writing, it would be the most boring show ever."

Completely true, I'm afraid. Thus, it's just a retreat, not a show. Although we might have a shot at PBS. Maybe Levar Burton could be the host.

No comments: