Sunday, March 2, 2014

Up and Down the Mountain: Sermon for Transfiguration Sunday, March 2, 2014

Our New Testament reading is Matthew 17:1-9. Listen for what God is telling you.

Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone.As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, “Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.” 

This is the word of God for the people of God. Thanks be to God.

Once upon a time, I climbed a mountain. It was a nice day, not too hot or too cold. Light-sweatshirt weather. I had several water bottles in my backpack, a good pair of worn-in shoes, and two friends going with me. We worked together in that national park.

I’ve never been a very fast-moving person, so I fell behind the others periodically. That was normal for me and not distressing. I might lose sight of them for a moment, but as I came up to a clearer spot, they would come into view again. Sometimes I’d catch up and we’d walk and talk for a while. There wasn’t much of a path, just a general idea of the direction of the peak.
            
This mountain had a series of basically very large stairsteps. Taller than a person in places. When we got to those, it was much harder to keep my friends in sight because these ledges blocked my view. But eventually I would spot them. Until I didn’t. One stair-step too far between us, or maybe one too many water breaks on my part, and I didn’t know where they were. Which meant I didn’t know where I was, in a way. I had been following them, if somewhat windingly, and when you’re not following someone things can change pretty quickly from a fun little hike to a disorienting and potentially upsetting experience. I tried to figure out how far up I was, which is really hard when you’re on the mountain. I picked up my pace hoping to catch up, but with increasingly uneven terrain I knew there were too many rocks and rises blocking my view. I decided to go on—I knew which way was up, after all, and I didn’t know of any clear and present dangers on that mountain. I might never have the chance to get to the peak again. So, periodically yelling for my friends and to keep bears away, I went slowly up and up. The soil was gravelly and loose, so I slipped a few times. Once I grabbed a small tree to pull myself up and it moved with me! The closer I got to the top, the less willing I was to turn around.
           
I got there eventually. I took some pictures, I think. Drank some water. Rested for a bit before heading back down. It was pretty cool, I could see a lot, a couple smaller rises and trails I had been on before, the hotel where I worked and the building I lived in, the one road out of the park. But, as interesting and different as it was, I never would have wanted to stay. The mountaintop is a lonely place; there’s not much to do except look around.

In the time and place where the Bible was written, mountains were considered a literal bridge between heaven and earth, which meant a way to get direct access to the gods. People went there for mystical experiences and rites of passage. You’ve probably heard of Mount Olympus, where all the Greek gods like Zeus and Hera lived. If they came down, it was atypical and noteworthy. Divine folks did not deign to mix with the lowly mortals unless there was a reason.
            
So it makes some sense that mountaintops figure prominently in our two stories today, with Moses and Jesus. That was how the readers’ worldview thought of divine encounters. But in both cases, something is so different from Zeus and Hera and their friends and foes. Namely, God is saying in both cases, “I don’t want to stay here. This mountaintop is a lonely place. There’s not much to do except look around.” God is saying, “I would rather be with people. This mountain is not for me.”
            
In the Moses story, God has been communicating with the people of Israel mostly through him, through Moses. But now God writes down the ten commandments, which begins the process of, in a sense, cutting out the middle-man. With this law, God’s people can begin to handle their own relationship with God. It’s still in a somewhat limited sense, but later God will put the law in their hearts, and then God will send Jesus, and then…well, then Jesus will go up on another mountain.
            
Peter, John, and James are with him. They’re not prepared at all for what happens up there. No one would be, really. So when Peter makes a somewhat bizarre statement, surely part of it is just the awkwardness of not knowing what to say. “It is good for us to be here! We should set up some sort of structure!” Maybe he also wanted something to do with his hands. At any rate, Moses and Elijah had appeared, Jesus was all lit up, so they were already pretty flustered when something even more crazy happened—a voice from heaven! “This is my son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to him.” It makes you want to pay extra attention to the next thing Jesus says, doesn’t it? So what are his next words? “Get up, and do not be afraid.” He says this while touching Peter’s shoulder. So this God, this mountaintop God who likes to dress up as a cloud or fire or blinding light, who speaks from heaven and makes people quake with fear—this same God is the one who touches us with a human hand and reminds us we don’t have to be afraid. It’s the same God who dwells with us, who is always moving to guide us. Even in cloud form in Exodus, God didn’t stay on the mountain.
            
So if this flashy mountaintop God is not the center or the extent of who God is, why do it? Why put on the show? Maybe God just thinks it’s fun to freak us out sometimes. But probably it’s something more than that. I think God gives us dazzling moments where God’s presence is obvious in order to sustain us through the times we can’t be sure. This is going on in both stories. In Exodus, several chapters before and after this scene are the type that some people skip over. I don’t know who those people might be, but I hear it happens sometimes. Before Moses goes up the mountain, it’s legal minutiae about how the community should be run, how the people of God should live and work together. Afterward, it’s detailed building instructions for the temple! So detailed! Down to the type of wood to use and the measurements of the curtains. And in between, in the middle of all that mundane material, we have this transfigurative experience. Isn’t that how it goes? Doesn’t God usually catch us off guard when we think life is just utterly normal? It’s less about topography and more about divine moments amid the mundane ones.

And, in Matthew, the worse than mundane. Immediately before this scene, Jesus asked what people were saying about him, which led to Peter’s confession that he is the Messiah, which led to Jesus telling them that he was going to suffer and die. Maybe they went on the hike just to be distracted and to get away from the other guys’ gloomy reactions. Anything to get their minds off such terrible news. That’s not what you want to hear about your leader or anyone you love. It doesn’t make sense! And after the transfiguration, right on the way back down the mountain, they encounter a man and his son, who is possessed by demons. The father says, “He often falls into the fire and often into the water.” So this boy is burned, maybe even disfigured. Worse than mundane. Not long after that, the momentum starts to build more quickly for Jesus’ crucifixion. There’s no turning back and no denying that he meant it and knew what he was talking about when he said he would “undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised.” And in between, in the middle of all that anxious, fearful, sad, unsettling material that doesn’t make sense, we have this transfigurative experience. Isn’t that how it goes? Doesn’t God usually find us when we need God most? Not always, from our perspective. Sometimes we just don’t feel God’s presence even when that’s what we most want. But sometimes, these mountaintop moments happen in the lowlands, the wadis, at sea level, in the Marianas Trench, the deepest part of the ocean. It’s not about topography. It’s about God being utterly obvious—flashy, loud, unmistakable—at times we don’t choose or understand. Times when God is preparing us for endurance through mundane boring ol’ life. Or when we have just gotten bad news, like the apostles, and are about to see it unfold while we can do nothing. God knows when we really need a transfiguration.

Regardless of where those needs align in our lives, liturgically, we’re in the situation of Peter, James, and John. The season of Lent starts on Wednesday. We’re standing on a great big peak, looking down on the time that we set aside to remember the really terrible, hurtful things about Jesus’ death. Things that almost everyone struggles to accept, understand, or even believe. We’re supposed to leave this high place and go down there. Here is the good news on this particular day, which may be the best news of all. God has already left the mountain. Oh, God is with us up here, most certainly, but God also knows the depths of every valley. God lives there, in the lowlands, where the light does not touch. God went first, so it is safe for us. When we look out at everything Lent means for us and crumple to the rocky ground, God reaches out to us with human hands and says, “Get up. Don’t be afraid.” 

No comments: