Friday, August 19, 2011

And the Circle Goes Round and Round

I took my Hebrew final this morning. That means summer language school is over. That means almost everyone is going away for at least a week, and when we're all back for the fall, things will be different. There will be a lot more people that we don't know. We'll have more to do and less time to hang out. I don't feel great about this. Things are almost perfect now--better than ever--and change is not so hot when I like the way things are.

But I remember feeling basically this way when I realized I had to leave Wilmington. I had to stop and catch my breath when I thought about leaving my friends there and starting over. But look how it turned out! So I keep this in mind: change doesn't mean breaking a spell of awesomeness. It means a chance for life to get even better. Summer language, glorious though it is, is not an end in itself. It's just the beginning. As the Snakes on a Plane theme song says, "oh, I'm ready for it. C'mon, bring it."

Our class wrote a song for our professor to the tune of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." We weren't ready when he came in, so we asked him to go away and come back. As I'd predicted, the song made him cry. A fitting end to a beautiful time together.

No comments: