Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Weekend Bonanza, part 3: Asheville

I hustled on Monday through Wednesday to afford Thursday and Friday off (the 4th and 5th). Wednesday was especially jam-packed and fun because we went to the Little Dipper for fondue, then Dusty and Ace, then back to my house for a brief celebration of James Thurber and to enjoy his cake recipe. It was the first time I'd made a layer cake, and possibly the first time I'd made cake from scratch. It turned out very well! We also had some really good wine that Aunt Kim had given me. It was sparkling but red! Total pleasant shocker. I got to meet one of my friends' dad and grandmother, who were delightful. After everyone left, I worked on my articles until later than I'd like to admit.

Thursday morning, I stopped in Beulaville on the way out to take a few pictures, then I was on my way to the mountains! I hadn't really put two and two together and realized I was going to the mountains in the fall, which made the leaf colors all the more exciting. I met John at the pizza/brewing place and had a beer before dropping my car off at his house. It's an awesome house! Basically a large and inviting log cabin with plenty of room for everyone, including two dogs and two drum sets.

The percussion ensemble concert was fun, and they're very talented. We met up with a cousin and her wife for a late dinner, and almost everyone had pumpkin beer. John's girlfriend is delightful.

Friday morning, I went to Malaprop's (swoon) for a quick coffee and then we all went to Twelve Bones for lunch. Let me tell you about Twelve Bones. I had only had ribs at Medieval Times and at a home cookout, but now, now I understand what a rib is destined to be and why people want to eat them. 12 Bones has all sorts of sauces that remind me a bit of Flaming Amy's combinations, like blueberry chipotle and ginger something and you know, fruit + spicy. They had your basics too. On the side, I had jalapeno cheese grits and mac & cheese plus the standard cornbread. It was an outstanding meal.

I went back to Mom and Dad's house for the night to break up the trip. We watched the Thursday night shows while I typed up police reports. The next morning, we went to the Methodist church's fall bazaar for breakfast, and I saw some nice jewelry and they bought our holiday desserts to freeze. I left mid-morning and took some photos in Richlands for work on my way back. The weekend was a whirlwind but very much worth the trouble, and I was so glad to see my family as well as spend some time in Asheville. Every time I go there, I'm scheming to stay. Didn't come up with anything feasible this go-round, but I'll keep working on the plan.

No comments: