Saturday, July 31, 2010

Self-indulgence

Yesterday, I bought Lucky Charms and milk at HT, along with lime beer for my one alcoholic drink per week, and Swiss cheese and Boursin and Chavrie and strawberries and Oats & More, which were all on sale (they always get me with the sales! Or do I get them? Chicken or egg?). I had been craving Lucky Charms for weeks and always denied myself but finally thought, hey, you only live once, and I had had a long day and needed to chill out with my Michael Mahan first-firing-of-new-kiln bowl/crock full of sugary empty calories.

I sat on the porch for the first time in a while and finished a book, then came inside hoping to catch What Not to Wear, but as usual of late, it wasn't on. So I read Real Simple until The Soup came on. It was a perfect night for the sole soul. Real Simple had inspiring three-ingredient recipes. I'm inching toward clarity on some questions about my future and calling. (Inching forward and footing back, it seems sometimes, but on the whole, progress is progress and not to be pooh-poohed.) Now, here I am at PCJ, having fortuitously escaped Saturday assignments, bit by bit working on my pottery articles. Wishing there were a bike lock-esque thing for laptops for when you're in public and want to go to the bathroom and are tired of asking strangers to keep an eye on your computer while you're away. Glorying in the realization that I don't have to go for a run after this if I don't want to. About to get a free refill. Life is good.

No comments: