Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Pursuit of Happyness

I watched that movie the other night on TV and was shocked by how good it was. I took one big thing away: there is no point of no return. There is no point at which one should or can say, "It will never get better." Things just got worse and worse for that guy, one after the other, through no fault of his own really. He still had a few things to cling to, which some people don't, but he did have it pretty wretched. And it didn't start looking up the minute he hit rock bottom, either. It was very bad for a long time, got worse, and stayed that bad for a long time. I admired that so much. Most movies and many books have the upswing start early, which is just not the way it happens for everyone. Props to the filmmakers. And dang, Will Smith can act! I mean, I was only half-cognizant that it was him. He was Chris Gardner to me. Gardner Rich is the investment firm he founded, in real life. If I ever need that kind of thing, I'll try them. Awesome story. See it if you haven't.

No comments: