Friday, September 19, 2008

men i don't know inside my brain

You know what I realized yesterday? When I read "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" (which is as often as possible), I picture James Thurber, or some Thurber hero. I think it has to do with the era, and the clothing, and the age of the man. It would have to be Thurber in a bad mood, though, becuase Prufrock seems so much less able to laugh at himself. Strange, strange thing, the way a mind works.

Speaking of my mind working (ish), I forgot my ATM PIN for the third time in four months or so, and also forgot where I wrote it down, or possibly threw that away. And now that David Foster Wallace is gone, my constant mixing him up with Scott Russell Sanders is more of a problem. Then again, maybe I'll be able to distinguish them now. It has nothing to do with their writing, it's just that they both have three names, and I discovered them at the same time. And it's not really mixing them up, because I would never call SRS by DFW's name. I just call them both Scott Russell Sanders. I'm just waiting for the day when David Hyde Pierce, Michael Ian Black, or Stephen Jay Gould enters the mix. Oh, lawd.

No comments: