Friday, February 8, 2008

TV, AWP, NYC

Watching Ace of Cakes yesterday, I realized just why I like it so darn much: it's a happy, happy show. No one is competing. No one is arguing, really. No one is crying because they have to confront their demons or fear of change. It's a show about artists. Artists having fun. And who doesn't love that? Even if it does make you hungry.

Speaking of artists having fun, I spent the weekend in New York at the Associated Writing Programs conference, and it was a very edifying, enjoyable, and inspiring event. I came home raring to write, write, write, and then to submit stuff for publication, which is not an urge I get often. I ate some formidable pizza (it is true, what they say about New York pizza. Just when you thought regular pizza was perfect...) and very authentic baguette at Le Pain Quotidien, which made me think I should move there (move to the restaurant, I mean, not New York). Sharon Olds's reading was probably the conference highlight for me, all the more a treat because I went to see the person she was reading with, not really her, and she was waaaaay better. The dance was funny because, like, most writers are nerds, and most of them were really breaking it down. One of my friends remarked on the strangeness of (and need for) social gatherings of writers: "We're all writers, you know [meaning introverts], so [at the book fair booths] I'm hoping they don't say anything to me besides hello, and they're probably hoping I don't say anything but hello." Very true for me, too. It was a good time, and I look forward to next year's conference in Chicago.

1 comment:

Murda said...

Chicago Baby--can't wait! Drinking late-night in closed-off areas, eating at the baguette/fresh fruit yummy shack (I can't remember how to spell the name!), and watching your suitcase break from all those free books was amazing. I can't wait to do it again, this time with heavy coats, thick and multiple scarves, doubled-up gloves, and hats, and SOCKS!, and real shoes (uh oh!), and whatever else the Windy City requires :)
AWP 2009!