Saturday, January 26, 2008

the moviegoer

That would be me, having been four times in eight days.

1. Juno. Excellent. Lived up to all the hype. Great music, wonderful leads, and who doesn't love J. K. Simmons saying, "Tore up from the floor up"?

2. The Color Purple. Made me wish I were in the 1900s south, practically living on the porch, going to the dry goods store in my gingham dress made from curtains. There's some very nice church-choir singing. Perfect for MLK day.

3. The Science of Sleep. Eh. Gondry can do better; in this, he was just showing off his stop-action and crazy lo-fi effects. I do love Gael Garcia Bernal, and French.

4. Gone Baby Gone. Probably the best of the four. It would be very hard not to like a movie with Casey Affleck, Morgan Freeman, and Ed Harris, AND the best moustache in all of movie history. It reminded me of Mystic River (based on a novel by the same author, Denis LeHane), but without the strange parts I didn't get.

No comments: